Monday, December 30, 2013
Troubadour Clown
He turned 30 on a bar stool in northern Arizona,
stared down his own reflection in a bottle of Corona
The lines upon his face matched the fracture in the glass
He just took a long drag, and let it all pass,
threw the barmaid down a dollar, she put it in her jar
picked up his old jacket, walked out through the door
saw a poor man on the corner, tossed him out a dime.. said ....
.. {I hope ya ain't livin' a life like mine
they're working so hard just to bring us all down
I'm just living this life, ... like a troubadour clown}
always loved the highway always loved the road
but, the miles are growing longer, & i feel i'm get'n old
travel'n cross this country, wander'n through my mind
my feet are moving forward still i'm falling way behind
i miss the wind out on the freeway as it's blowing through your hair
with every passing exit toss out another care...
I've been working my fingers down raw to the bone
and it's hard to keep fighting this travel'n jones,...
with a bed roll and his guitar he heads off down the road
to see some friends in Austin,... maybe lightin' up his load
success don't come from money brother, and it sure don't come from wine
... {I hope ya ain't livin' a life like mine
They're working so hard just to bring us all down
I'm just livin' this life,... like a troubadour clown}
take what you've been given?... i'm only taking what I need
gonna stash it my pocket and try to fight the greed,
been sit'n on the roadside i just need some time to breath,
so let me rest my aching bones before you make me leave
There are trials and tribulations 'round every single bend
just hope you're breaking even when your journey meets it's end
As the smoke pours from the chimney of my "cabin on the hill"
I know "the road goes on forever" and I hope it always will
I've got people on the east coast & people in the south
I see how hard they're workin' but it's always hand to mouth
That old dog's in the hen house,and ya know he's doing fine...
{still i hope ya ain't livin' a life like mine
they're working so hard just to bring us all down
I'm just livin' this life like a troubadour clown}
I always race the future through memories of the past
but once you're rolling forward there ain't no turning back
with the winds of time upon us, best not to watch the clock
hang on to that lone nickel maybe stash it your sock
we have cities full of darkness killing forests full of trees
then you tie me down with debt while telling me I'm free.
.... but its springtime on the river, time to cast a fly
and strum a couple sad songs as the water rolls on by...
{They're working so hard just to bring us all down
But life ain't bad,... for this troubadour clown} .......
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment